Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

China {my experience}


China: my experience – by Micah Fairchild

Have you ever asked yourself, what would it take to change me? I mean to completely change
your perception and viewpoint of the world around you? For some, secular media completely
conducts how they view their world; you may see an African woman holding a skeleton-looking
underweight child in a photograph and think to yourself; “wow, there are starving people in the
world” but it never drives you to do anything or even change your perspective, let alone your
lifestyle. It was a thought, and it disappeared.


In the fall of 2012, I was faced with this question when I decided to take a 3 month missions
trip to China. People would ask me “Micah, what is you plan, your goal for this trip?” and I would
respond with an answer that sounded something like “well, I want to experience the mission
field firsthand and hopefully be a blessing to whoever I am working with.” But what I received
from this trip was overwhelmingly much more than that.

My familiar etiquette, eating habits, verbal communication was all taken away from me in a big
bundle called culture change. During the 3 months I was there, I had a blast learning a brand
new way of life, meeting new people, eating new foods, and seeing amazing things. I had some
pretty crazy experiences and absolutely loved it! It seemed unreal that it was time to go home;
my mission’s trip had ended.


It was early December when my plane landed in Seattle; it was the first time I had set foot on
American soil in 3 months. As I finished going through customs and began to walk through the
airport, it was like I had stepped back into my old world, it is impossible to put into words the
overwhelming emotion that I felt. I saw the old me doing my thing in this bubble of everyday
life, having no comprehension of the world beyond the TV screen. I realized, I lived in an
unbelievably blessed society. This airport experience was life altering but it held no ground for
what was to come next.


For the last 3 months, I had been living in a country where when you said you are a Christian,
You weren't simply declaring your denomination preference; to be a Christian was to be a
genuine Christ follower, there was nothing else. In the weeks following my return to the states,
I began to realize that I had culturalized my Christianity. Without even realizing it, I had formed
my God into the mold of the America Dream! I dreamed of someday doing something great for
Him, but all He wanted from me was to be a humble servant and to labor with Him. God is not
looking for the most talented; He wants me to Love Him by striving to follow His word, and to
love those around me more than I do myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment